Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (“AODA”)
Customer Service Standards
Michaels of Canada, ULC (“Michaels”) is committed to equitable treatment for associates and customers. Michaels provides our associates and customers with a friendly retail environment without discrimination or harassment. We will provide reasonable accommodation to our associates and customers in a timely manner.
We are committed to providing World Class customer service to all of our customers, including those with disabilities. Therefore we have adopted the customer service standards detailed below:
- Deliver world-class service with dignity, respect and integration for our disabled customers.
- Approach every situation with an assumption that we can find a solution.
- Engage our customers in an interactive dialogue to identify solutions for a world-class experience.
- We will communicate with our disabled customers in ways that take into account their disability.
- Disabled customers may reasonably use their own personal assistive devices, or those that may be provided by Michaels, while obtaining goods or services provided on our premises. If barriers to the use of an assistive device exist at any premises that are open to the public, where reasonably possible these barriers will be removed. We will train for familiarity with various assistive devices that may be used by our disabled customers while accessing our goods or services.
- We welcome service animals.
- Where a customer requires assistance due to a disability, we will allow a friend, family member or other support person of a disabled customer to attend a class for free to serve as an interpreter or assistant.
Notice of temporary disruption
- We will notify our customers promptly in the event of a planned or unexpected disruption to services or facilities for customers with disabilities. A clearly posted notice will include information about the reason for the disruption, its anticipated length of time, and a description of alternative facilities or services, if available. The notice will be placed in a reasonable location in close proximity to the disruption site.
Training for staff
- We will provide training to all of our Associates and others who interact with our customers. Individuals in the following positions will be trained:
- Store Management and Associates
- District Managers
- Zone Human Resource Directors
- Zone Vice Presidents
- Corporate Store Support Personnel
Training will include:
- An overview of the AODA and the requirements of the customer service standard.
- Michaels’ policies, procedures and practices regarding AODA compliance.
- How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities.
- How to reasonably accommodate disabled customers’ needs.
- How to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person.
- How to use store-provided assistive devices, such as wheelchairs.
- How to access Corporate and community resources to assist our disabled customers (i.e. Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf website).
Customers who wish to provide feedback on the way Michaels provides goods and services to people with disabilities can contact our customer service line at 1-800 MICHAELS or via email at email@example.com
- Feedback will be directed to our dedicated Customer Care Team. Customers can expect to receive a reply in 48 hours. Complaints will be addressed according to our organization’s regular complaint management procedures.
- Customers may also request a copy of our AODA Customer Service Standard documentation by contacting 1-800-MICHAELS or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Michaels provides its AODA policies to associates through the Associate Handbook and training materials. Michaels will provide its AODA policies to customers upon request.