FINISHED MEASUREMENTS: XS/S (M/L, 1X/2X)
Note: The Vest is very stretchy and will fit a range of sizes.
- Finished Bust About 40 [44, 48]" [101.5 [112, 122] cm]
- Finished Length About 26 [27,28]" [66 [68.5,71] cm]
Note: Pattern is written for smallest size with changes for larger sizes in parentheses. When only one number is given, it applies to all sizes. To follow pattern more easily, circle all numbers pertaining to your size before beginning.
GAUGE: 8 sts = about 4" [10 cm] in Stockinette st (knit on RS, purl on WS); be sure to check your gauge.
- The Vest is worked in one piece, beginning at lower back, then dividing to work each front separately.
- A circular needle is used to accommodate the number of sts; work back and forth in rows on the circular needle, just as if working on straight needles.
- When you join a new ball of yarn, take a moment to consider the flow of the yarn colours. If desired, cut yarn and begin at a different point in the ball to create a pleasing colour arrangement.
- If you’d like to keep the yarn contained as you work, slip the ball into a zippered plastic bag. Zip the bag closed, leaving an opening for the strand of yarn.
Cast on 30 (34,38) sts.
Beginning with a knit row, work in St st (knit on RS, purl on WS) until piece measures about 23 (24,25) in. (58.5 (61,63.5) cm) from beginning.
End with a WS (purl) row as the last row you work.
Note: To keep track of which is the RS of the Vest, tie a piece of scrap yarn to your piece as you work a knit row.
Divide for Fronts
Next Row (RS): Knit 15 (17,19) and slip these sts to a st holder, then knit to end of row.
You’ll have 15 (17 19) sts remaining on your needle.
Work in St st on these sts only until piece measures about 29 (30, 31)" (73.5 (76, 78.5) cm above divide.
Bind off these 15 (17, 19) sts.
Return the 15 (17, 19) sts from the st holder back to your needle.
Work in St st on these sts only until second front measures same as first.
Fold piece in half across shoulders, matching lower edges of back and fronts.
Place markers about 13" [33 cm] below shoulder fold for armholes.
TIP: Try Vest on to determine whether you’d like a different size armhole.
With smooth yarn threaded into blunt needle, sew fronts and back together on each side, from marker down to lower edge.
Weave in ends.