MEASUREMENT: Approx. 37" [94 cm] square, excluding ears.
- 7 sts and 14 rows = 4" [10 cm] in garter st and Bernat® Baby Blanket™ yarn.
- 9 sts and 10 rows = 4" [10 cm] in stocking stitch and Bernat® Sheepy™ yarn.
- Blanket is worked corner to corner.
- For the elephant's trunk you will inc the number of sts worked over A section to accommodate the difference in gauge.
- Trunk is formed using Intarsia technique as follows: Wind small balls of the colors to be used, one for each separate area of color in the design. To change colors, wind the 2 colors around each other, where they meet on WS to avoid a hole.
- To embroider the eyes and eyelashes we recommend using Bernat® Softee Chunky™ black or another black worsted weight yarn.
With MC cast on 4 sts.
Row 1: (WS). K2. yo. K2. 5 sts.
Row 2: K2. yo. Knit to end of row. 6 sts.
Rows 3 to 91: Rep 2nd row 89 times more, inc 1 st per row until there are 95 sts, ending on WS row.
Proceed with Dec Section as follows:
Row 1: K1. K2tog. yo. K2tog. Knit to end of row. 94 sts.
Rows 2 to 36: Rep 1st row 35 times more until 59 sts rem, ending on a WS row.
Row 1: (RS). With MC, K1. K2tog. yo. K2tog. K22. PM. With A, Kfb. K4. Kfb. PM. With MC, knit to end of row. (60 sts).
Row 2: With MC, K1. K2tog. yo. K2tog. Knit to marker. SM. With A, k8. SM. With MC, knit to end of row. (59 sts)
Rows 3 to 14: Rep 2nd row 12 times more until 47 sts rem, ending on a WS row. Break MC. Join A.
Proceed with Head as follows:
Row 1: (RS). With A, K1. K2tog. (K2. Kfb) 5 times. K12. (Kfb. K2) 5 times. K2. 56 sts.
Row 2: K1. K2tog. Knit to last 3 sts. K2tog. K1. 54 sts.
Rows 3 and 4: K1. K2tog. Knit to end of row.
Rows 4 to 28: Rep 2nd to 4th rows 8 times more until 20 sts rem ending on a WS row.
Rows 29 to 34: Cast off 2 sts. Knit to end of row.
Cast off rem 8 sts.
Row 1: (RS). PM 11" [28 cm] up from bottom edge of Head. With A, pick up and knit 25 sts evenly between bottom edge of Head and marker.
Row 2: Knit.
Rows 3 to 6: Cast on 1 st. Knit to end of row. 29 sts at end of Row 6.
Rows 7 to 12: Knit.
Rows 13 to 18: Cast off 1 st. Knit to end of row. 23 sts at end of Row 18.
Rows 19 to 24: Cast off 2 sts. Knit to end of row. 11 sts at end of Row 24.
Rows 25 and 26: Cast off 3 sts. Knit to end of row.
Cast off rem 5 sts.
With black worsted weight yarn, embroider eyes and eyelashes using chain stitch as shown in photo.