- Information Covered in This Statement
- Information We Collect
- How We Use this Information
- Your Choices & Access to Your Information
- How to Opt-In and Opt-Out of Communications
- Cookies, Web Beacons, and Other Technologies
- Information Sharing, Service Partners and Affiliates
- User Generated Content
- Information Security
- Information Transfer
- Children's Online Privacy
- Contact Us
- Changes to This Privacy Statement
- State and Country Specific Information
- Consumers With Disabilities
This Privacy Statement (“Privacy Statement”) describes the information that Michaels of Canada, ULC, its affiliated companies, subsidiaries and service partners (collectively, “Michaels”) collects about you; how we use and protect this information; and the choices you can make about how we use this information. Michaels is committed to protecting your privacy and will not sell, rent or share your information in a manner that does not comply with this Privacy Statement.Information Covered by This Statement
This Privacy Statement applies to information, including personal information, collected about you by Michaels. Personal information is information, or a combination of pieces of information that could reasonably allow you to be identified. Some Michaels.com pages may contain links to non-Michaels sites. We are not responsible for the privacy policies of those sites. We recommend you review the privacy policies of each site you visit.Top
Information We Collect
We may collect information about you from a variety of sources, including information we collect from you directly; information we collect about you when you visit our sites, use our services, or view our online advertisements; and information we collect about you from other sources (where permitted by law).Information we collect directly from you:
We collect information directly from you when you choose to register with our site, participate in our offers and programs, purchase products from our site, or otherwise provide information directly to us. The following are examples of information we may collect directly from you:
- Name, email address, postal address.
- Username and password.
- Phone number or mobile number.
- Date of birth.
- Demographic information.
- Payment information (such as a credit card).
- Future communication preferences.
Information we collect when you visit our sites, use our services, or view our online advertisements:
- Your browser type and operating system.
- Web pages you view.
- Links you click.
- IP address.
- Site you visited before coming to our site.
- Michaels emails you open and/or forward.
- Michaels offers or links you connect to via emails.
Information we collect from other sources:
We may obtain information about you from other sources, including commercially available sources, such as data aggregators and public databases. The following are examples of information we may collect from other sources:
- Name, postal address.
- Income level.
- Marital status and number of children.
- Your interests such as hobbies and pets.
- Consumer and market research data.
- Purchase behavior.
- Publicly observed data or activities, such as blogs, videos, internet postings, user generated content, and in-store shopping behavior.
All of the information we collect about you may be combined to help us tailor our communications to you to maximize your customer experience with Michaels.Top
How We Use This Information
To provide offers, products and services. We use the information we collect to provide the products and services you request, to tell you about other products and services offered by Michaels, and to manage our sites and services.
The following are ways we may use the information we collect about you:
- Send offers and information.
- Develop new products and services.
- Enroll you in contests, programs, or offers you request.
- To provide you with other services that we have offered to you
- Create and manage your account.
- Process payment for purchases or other services.
- Protect against or identify possible fraudulent transactions.
- Where permitted by law, provide you with customized, unsolicited offers and information about Michaels products and services through postal mail.
- Develop and provide advertising tailored to your interests.
- Analyze the use of our products, services and sites.
- Understand how you arrived at our site.
- Determine the effectiveness of our advertising.
- Enforce our Terms and Conditions and otherwise manage our business.
Your Choices & Access to Your Information
We give you choices about how we communicate with you.
Electronic and Mobile Communications. We only send you promotional mobile or email messages if you provide us with your contact information and opt in to receive the messages. You can stop receiving promotional mobile and email messages from Michaels by following the instructions provided in any such message you receive.
Postal Mail. Where permitted by law, we may mail you unsolicited offers or product information that we believe is of interest to you. You can stop receiving promotional postal mail from Michaels. Promotional postal mail may contain opt out instructions, and you can stop receiving promotional postal mail from us by following those instructions.Top
How to Opt-In and Opt-Out of Communications
Our Site provides you the opportunity to opt-in and to opt-out of receiving communications from Michaels. To have your information removed from the Michaels database, please contact us with your request online, by email or by phone as follows:
Online. Visit the “Contact Us” form on our website, and submit the completed form.
By email. Send an email to email@example.com from your email address of record with a subject line of UNSUBSCRIBE.
Click “Unsubscribe.” Each email we send you contains an “UNSUBSCRIBE” link at the bottom of the email. Open your email, click “UNSUBSCRIBE”, and follow the instructions on the screen to change your communication preferences
By phone. Call 1-800-MICHAELS and ask to be removed from future mailings.
PLEASE NOTE: If you choose to stop receiving promotional messages from us, we will honor your request. However, we will continue to send you service related communications and we may need to keep the information we have collected about you for record keeping, analysis or other reasons, to the extent permitted by law.Top
Cookies, Web Beacons and other Technologies
Web Beacons. Web beacons are small bits of code embedded in web pages or in emails. We may use web beacons to deliver or communicate with cookies, to count users who have visited a web page, and to understand usage patterns. We also may include web beacons in e-mails to learn if messages have been opened, acted on, or forwarded. You can disable the ability of Web beacons to capture information by declining cookies.
Other Technologies. Examples of other technologies we may use to provide better service to you include:
- Web Session Variables. Information that is passed from one web URL to another as you browse.
- Browser plug-ins/add-ons. Additional web components that may need to be installed to enable certain web features on our sites. You have the option not to install these components.
Information Sharing, Service and Affiliates
In general, we do not share personal information outside of Michaels unless we have clearly asked for and obtained your explicit consent.
Third-party service providers. We rely on third-party service providers to perform a variety of services on our behalf. In so doing, we may need to share your personal information with them. Please note that we provide our service providers with only the personal information they need to perform their services and we require that they protect this information and not use it for any other purpose.
For example, we may rely on a service provider to:
- Fulfill your product and service requests and answer your questions.
- Host our sites and deliver our email and mobile messages.
- Contact contest winners, manage payments or take other actions on our behalf.
- Analyze data, sometimes combined with other sources, to send more targeted communications to you.
- Conduct research and analyze data to improve our products, services and sites.
In addition, where permitted by law, we may also rely on a service provider to:
- Combine personal information about you that Michaels has collected with personal information about you that our business partner has collected so we can jointly send tailored promotional communications to you. In such instances, our business partner will not have direct access to any information we share about you with the service provider, and only the service provider will be allowed to use the combined set of information to send you joint communications that we hope will be of interest to you.
- Perform other services that we request.
We provide these companies with the personal information they need to provide these services on our behalf. We require these companies to protect this personal information and to not use the information for any other purpose.
Other situations. We may disclose your personal information
- If Michaels or a Michaels entity is sold to another company;
- Where permitted by law, to protect and defend the rights and property of Michaels (including enforcing our Terms and Conditions); and
- When required by law, and/or public authorities.
Aggregated and non-personal information. We may share aggregated information that cannot identify you for general business analysis. For example, we may disclose the number of visitors to Michaels sites or services.Top
User Generated Content
Some Michaels sites enable users to submit their own content for contests, blogs, videos, and other functions. Please remember that any information you disclose becomes public information and you should exercise caution when deciding to disclose your personal, financial or other information in a submission. Michaels cannot prevent such information from being used in a manner that may violate this Privacy Statement, the law, or your personal privacy and safety. Michaels is not responsible for the results of such postings.Top
We are committed to keeping personal information secure. We have appropriate technical, administrative and physical procedures in place to protect personal information from loss, misuse or alteration.We limit access to personal information to those who have a business need. We keep personal information only for a reasonably needed amount of time.
When we provide your personal information to our third party service providers we require those companies to protect the information and to not use the information for any other purpose.
When we collect or transmit sensitive information such as a credit card number, we use industry standard methods to protect that information.
Please note that email may not be encrypted and cannot be considered a secure means of transmitting credit card numbers. Michaels will never ask you to submit your credit card information via email.Top
Your personal information may be transferred to, stored, and processed in a country other than the one in which it was provided. This may include Canada and the United States. When we do so, we transfer the information in compliance with applicable data protection laws.
We take steps to protect personal information no matter what country it is stored in or transferred to. We have procedures and controls as appropriate to help ensure this.Top
Children's Online Privacy
We believe it is important to provide added protection for children online. We encourage parents and guardians to spend time online with their children to participate in and monitor their online activity.
We do not intend to collect personal information from children under 13 online. When we do collect personal information from children, we do so in compliance with applicable country children's data protection laws.
U.S. sites that collect information from children under the age of 13 are covered by a privacy statement that meets the requirements of the U.S. Children's Online Privacy Protection Act. Click here to read that Privacy Statement.
Click here to find out how to obtain a copy of the information your child has provided to Michaels, to update the information or instruct us to no longer contact your child.Top
If you have questions or concerns regarding your privacy, please contact Michaels directly.
Contact Us by Mail: Michaels of Canada, ULC
Attn: Customer Service
8000 Bent Branch Dr.
Irving, TX 75063
Contact Us by Phone: 1-800-MICHAELS
Monday – Saturday: 8 AM to 8 PM Central
Sunday: 9 AM to 6 PM Central
Contact Us by Email:
Changes to This Privacy Statement
We will post changes to this Privacy Statement and update the effective date when this Privacy Statement is updated. The changes will take effect as soon as posted.Top
State and Country Specific Information
Michaels complies with Canadian Federal and Provincial privacy laws and regulations including the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act.
Michaels will only use your personal information for the purposes intended and as detailed in this Privacy Statement unless we have obtained your consent to use it for other purposes.
Residents of Canada are notified that the personal information they provide to Michaels is stored in the company's databases outside of Canada including in the United States and may be subject to disclosure to authorized law enforcement or government agencies in response to lawful demand pursuant to the laws of that country.Top
Consumers With Disabilities
We are committed to world-class service for all of our guests. In compliance with the Americans With Disabilities Act As Amended and other state, local and provincial laws, we provide effective communication with our hearing-impaired customers and assistance for customers with any special need. Please let us know how we can accommodate you!Top
Effective Date: 3/5/12